White Bean Chili with Jalapeño Bulgur
Yield: 4 Servings
- ½cup bulgur wheat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and black pepper
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add the bulgur and simmer, covered, until all the water is absorbed and the bulgur is tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their liquid and 1 ½ cups water. Bring to a boil. Add the beans and simmer until slightly thickened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir the lemon juice, scallions, jalapeño, remaining tablespoon of oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper into the bulgur.
- Divide the chili among bowls and top with the bulgur.
Nutrition Info per serving: Calories 270, Fat 8g, Carbs 41g, Fiber 11g, Protein 9g, Sodium 550mg