Vegetable Medley Sorghum
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onions
- 5 garlic cloves minced or garlic press (if small cloves add more)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups mixed frozen vegetables (carrots, corn, peas, lima beans etc)
- 4 cups chicken broth (substitute with vegetable broth for a vegetarian version)
- 1 cup Whole Grain Sorghum
- In a 2-quart size pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onions for approximately 2-3 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds to a minute (don’t let it burn).
- Add salt, pepper, frozen vegetables and sauté for 2 minutes. Remove and place in a separate bowl. (Do not overcook)
- In the same pot, add the chicken broth. Bring to a boil on high heat.
- Rinse Pearled sorghum.
- Once the liquid comes to a boil, add Whole grain sorghum. Mix well and lower heat to medium. Keep covered during the cooking process.
- When the liquid has reached the level of the grain (after approximately 25 minutes), reduce heat to low, return vegetables to the pot, and stir to combine without crushing vegetables. Keep covered.
- Cook for approximately 10 more minutes or until the water has completely dried and the grain is puffed up and tender. Taste and adjust salt if needed. For the finishing touches fluff up with a fork without crushing the vegetables.
Nutrition info per Serving: Calories 295, Fat 6.6g, Carbs 47.5g, Fiber 10.3g, Protein 11.6g, Sodium 218 mg