Vegan Sweet Potato Stew with Kale and Freekeh
Yield 8 Servings
- 3 sweet potatoes
- olive oil for drizzling sweet potatoes
- 1 8-ounce package cracked freekeh (1 cup)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch of fresh kale, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 12-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 12-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- Pre-heat the oven to 475 degrees.
- Next, prepare the sweet potatoes. Scrub the sweet potatoes and then chop them into cubes about 1-inch in size. Line a baking sheet with foil, and arrange the sweet potatoes on a single layer. Drizzle the sweet potatoes with a bit of olive oil. Roast the sweet potatoes in the oven for 25 minutes or until tender. When done cooking, remove them from the oven and set aside.
- While the potatoes are roasting, pour all the remaining ingredients into a large pot over high heat stovetop. Stir to combine and cook over medium high heat for about five minutes. Reduce heat to on top of the stove over high heat. Stir with a spoon and heat for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add roasted sweet potatoes. Cover partially and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Check occasionally and give a stir. Continue to cook longer for richer flavor, adding water or more broth if desired.
Nutrition info per serving: Calories 337, Fat 4.5 g, Carbs 61g, Fiber 12.7g, Protein 17g Sodium 425 mg