Vegan Bulgur Wheat Pilaf with Mushrooms
Makes 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked bulgur wheat
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp. butter (or use a vegan margarine in order to keep it vegan)
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 3 tbsp. dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or 1/8 cup dried)
- 1 tbsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a medium pan, combine the bulgur wheat and the water or vegetable broth. Cover the pan and allow to simmer over medium-high heat for about five minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and let it stand, covered, for about 5 more minutes. After five more minutes, drain any excess water or vegetable broth from the pan.
- Next, melt the butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium heat. Sautee the mushrooms, onions and peppers until the onions are clear and soft. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the lemon juice, white wine, fresh parsley, basil, salt and pepper and gently toss to combine well.
- Combine the vegetable mixture with the prepared cooked bulgur wheat and serve immediately.
Nutritional information: 145 calories, 4 g protein, 23 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 5 g fat, 342 mg sodium.