Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup Freekah
- ½ cup finely diced red onion
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 medium lemon (2 Tbsp)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add 8 cups water and the freekeh to a medium saucepan and boil until tender, about 20 minutes. Strain.
- Meanwhile, soak the onions in ice water in a small bowl for 10 minutes. Strain well.
- Whisk together the onions, basil, dill, parsley, oil, 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Add the cooked freekah and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Transfer to a serving bowl and add the remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Alternatively, serve chilled, adding an additional tablespoon of lemon juice just before serving.)
Nutrition info per Serving: Calories 210, Fat 7g, Carbs 31g, Fiber 5g Protein 5g, Sodium 480 mg