Quick Beef & Barley Soup
Yield 4 servings (1 ½ cup)
- 8 ounces sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- ¾ cup quick-cooking barley
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- Sprinkle steak with ¼ teaspoon pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the steak and cook, stirring often, until browned on all sides, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, onion and celery to the pot and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add carrot and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more. Add tomato paste and thyme and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are coated with the tomato paste and are beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add barley, broth, water, salt and the remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook until the barley is tender, about 15 minutes. Return the beef and any accumulated juice to the pot and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vinegar to taste.
Nutrition info per serving: Calories 273, Fat 9g, Carbs 29g, Fiber 5g, Protein 20g, Sodium 332mg