Freekeh with Roasted Butternut Squash and Dried Cranberries
Yield 4 servings
- 2 cups cracked freekeh
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 ½ cups dried cranberries
- 5 cups broth, or water
- 3 cups butternut squash, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine freekeh and broth or water in a pot. Bring to a boil and cook 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low, add diced onion, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover pot and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until desired tenderness is reached.
- While the freekeh cooks, prepare the butternut squash. Toss squash in a bowl with olive oil.
- Spread on foil-lined cookie sheet. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or until tender, but not soft.
- Stir cooked butternut squash and cranberries into freekeh. If desired, top with chopped nuts.
Nutrition info per serving: Calories 510, Fat 9g, Carbs 101g, Fiber 14g, Protein 17g, Sodium 5mg