Cinnamon Apple & Pear Amaranth Porridge
Yield: 1 Serving
- ¼ cup amaranth
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 cup water (for cooking, use as much or as little to achieve desired thickness of porridge)
- ¼ cup apple, diced
- ¼ cup pear, diced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (sugar free version, use stevia to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- dash of freshly ground nutmeg
- Cook amaranth by bringing water or you may use almond milk, to a boil, add amaranth and bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover with a lid and cook for 20 minutes or until the amaranth has come together and resembles porridge. You may add additional water throughout the process, amaranth will continue to "soak" it up.
- In a separate saucepan, combine sliced apples and pears with maple syrup and cinnamon and cook until softened (about 10-15 minutes).
- Stir the stewed Cinnamon Apples and Pears into the cooked Amaranth and serve with walnuts, a drizzle of maple syrup, etc.
Nutrition Information per Serving: Calories 280, Fat 5g, Carbs 53g, Fiber 10g, Protein 8g