Butternut Squash, Kale, and Farro Soup
Yield 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 2 quarts low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup farro, soaked in cold water for 30 minutes and drained
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, and cut into medium dice (about 6 cups)
- 1 bunch kale, large stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
- Freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat until shimmering, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and measured salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened, about 8 minutes. Add the herbs and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a simmer, about 15 minutes. Once simmering, reduce the heat to low and continue simmering, covered, until the onion is soft, about 15 minutes more. Add the soaked farro and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add the butternut squash and simmer, covered, until the squash is quite soft, about 30 minutes. Use a potato masher to mash some of the squash so it dissolves into the soup. Other pieces should remain whole.
- Add the kale to the soup and simmer, covered, about 20 minutes more. Taste and season with more salt as needed and pepper. Serve hot, in warm bowls.
Calories 240, Fat 3.2g, Carbs 50.3g, Fiber 6g, Protein 6.3g Sodium 746mg