Baked Chicken with Apples and Barley
Yield 4 Servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, ﬁnely chopped
- 1 medium tart green apple, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 cup whole grain barley kernels
- 2-½ cups chicken broth
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt (or a little minced garlic)
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade or apricot jam
- Heat oil in large skillet; sauté onion, bell peppers and garlic 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped apple and curry powder; sauté 4 minutes longer.
- Stir in barley and chicken broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes.
- Pour barley mixture into large baking dish or casserole. Arrange chicken breasts over barley and season with garlic salt. Cover and bake in 375º F oven for 45 minutes. Remove cover; brush chicken with marmalade. Continue to bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Calorie 420, Fat 8g, Carbs 55, Fiber 11g, Protein 33g
From: National Barley Food Council