Amaranth with Peppers and Cabbage
- 1 cup uncooked amaranth grains
- 2 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 1 poblano pepper (can substitute another bell pepper) cored, seeded, and diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ head purple cabbage, chopped into long shreds
- salt and pepper to taste
- To cook the amaranth, bring the water and amaranth to a boil, then simmer, partially covered, for 30-35 minutes, until soft, swollen and tender. Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 15 minutes, with the lid still on, to swell more.
- Meanwhile, in a large shallow pan, gently fry the garlic and diced peppers in the oil until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the cabbage, season with salt and pepper, and put the lid on to cook for 5 more minutes.
- Gently stir in the amaranth grains, reheat and serve
Nutrition info per serving: Calories 270, Fat 11g Carbs 38g, Fiber 6, Protein 8g, Sodium 20mg
From: The Latin American Kitchen