Original Recipe Yield 18 poppers
- 18 whole fresh jalapeno peppers
- 1 cup nonfat refried beans
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded Monterey Jack or extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- Olive oil or canola oil cooking spray
- Make a small slit on one side of each pepper. Place the peppers in a large microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on High until just softened, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine refried beans, cheese and scallions in a small bowl.
- When the peppers are cool enough to handle, scrape out the seeds with a small spoon (a 1/4-teaspoon measuring spoon works well). Fill each pepper with about 1 tablespoon of the bean filling, or until the pepper is full but not overstuffed (the amount will depend on the size of the pepper). Close the pepper around the filling.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Lightly beat eggs in another shallow dish. Place cornmeal in a third shallow dish. Roll each stuffed pepper in flour, shaking off any excess. Dip in egg and let any excess drip off. Then roll in the cornmeal mixture. Place the peppers on the prepared baking sheet. Generously coat all sides of each pepper with cooking spray.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Turn each pepper over and continue baking until hot and the filling starts to ooze in a few spots, about 5 minutes more.
Nutritional Information: Calories 55, Total Fat 1.5g, Carbs 7.2g, Fiber 1.6g, Protein 3.6g, Sodium 480mg
Recipe from eatingwell.com