Berry Good Recipe Ideas
Berries are nutritional powerhouses, high in vitamin C and antioxidants, and are great eaten just as they are. Still, it is nice to have some new ideas to add to your arsenal of quick and simple recipes. These berry delicious ideas can help get your creativity flowing.
- Sandwich: Spread Neufchâtel cheese and strawberry jam on whole-grain bread, and layer with sliced strawberries.
- Salmon marinade: Mix together blackberries and a splash of red wine, and cook over medium heat until mixture becomes juicy. Add a few tablespoons (Tbsp) of brown sugar, and continue cooking until mixture becomes syrupy. Marinate salmon with mixture and broil.
- Pudding topper: Melt together 2 cups (C) quartered strawberries, 2 tablespoons (Tbsp) strawberry jam, and 2 Tbsp sugar or sweetener equal to 2 Tbsp. Use to top vanilla pudding.
- Salad: Combine baby spinach, pecans, diced red onion, sliced strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, pear slices, and grilled chicken strips. Serve with a light raspberry-pecan dressing.
- Fruit soup: Prepare an easy fruit soup by combining 5 C of quartered strawberries with ¼ C of sugar or sweetener equal to ¼ C, 1 Tbsp of lime juice, and a pinch of salt. Puree mixture until smooth, and stir in 1 C of champagne or sparkling cider. Garnish with a few mint leaves before serving.
- Mix-in for yogurt: Stir blueberries into lemon yogurt. Top with a few crumbled gingersnaps.
- Chicken: Combine 1 C blueberries, ¼ C diced red onion, a pinch of salt, 2 teaspoons (tsp) lime zest, and ¼ C blueberry jam. Serve warm over cooked chicken breasts.
- Baked apples: Peel and core apples. Make a mixture of blackberries, lemon zest, sliced almonds, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Fill apple cavities with mixture and bake at 400°F for 35 minutes.
- Crȇpes: Make a simple crȇpe recipe by mixing together ¾ C flour, a pinch of salt, 1½ C milk, 3 eggs (or ¾ C Egg Beaters®), and 2 Tbsp tub margarine. Heat an 8″ skillet, add 2 Tbsp of mixture, and cook until browned on each side (about 20-25 seconds per side). Fill with berries and reduced-fat whipped cream.
- Wraps: Mix together 2 C diced strawberries, 1 diced peach, ¼ C finely chopped cilantro leaves, and 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice. Heat four tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds. Layer reduced-sodium deli turkey, the fruit salsa, and fresh spinach leaves onto tortillas. Fold to make a wrap.
Contributed by Nutrition411 Staff
Review Date: 5/21/15