Split Pea and Greens Soup
Yield 8 servings (1 1/3 cups)
- 1 pound green split peas (about 2 1/4 cups), rinsed and drained
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 4 large ribs celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 4 oz. thick-cut lower-sodium ham steak, diced (about 1 cup)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large bunch kale, stems and ribs discarded
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- In a slow cooker, combine split peas, onion, carrots, celery, thyme, ham, 7 cups water, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Cover and cook on low until peas are tender, 5 to 5 1/2 hours.
- Working in batches, finely chop kale in a food processor (you should have about 5 cups). Uncover soup; remove and discard thyme sprigs. Stir in vinegar, then kale. Taste and season with more vinegar, salt and pepper, if desired.
Nutrition Information: Calories 261, Fat 2g, Carbs 45g, Fiber 17g, Protein 19g, Chol 6mg, Sodium 544mg