Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water]
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 each medium sweet red, yellow, and orange peppers
- 4 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 Tbsp sunflower kernels
- 2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/8 tsp. dried marjoram
- 1/8 tsp. dried thyme
- Dash cayenne pepper
- In a small saucepan, bring the broth, water and bay leaf to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Discard bay leaf.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and discard seeds. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse in cold water; invert onto paper towels.
- In a large nonstick skillet, sauté the carrots and onions in oil until tender. Add the quinoa, sunflower kernels and seasonings; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until heated through. Spoon into pepper halves. Place in a baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until peppers are tender.
Nutrition info per serving (2 pepper halves) Calories 221, Total Fat 6g, Carbs 38g, Fiber 6g, Protein 7g, Sodium 520mg.
From Taste of Home