Original Recipe Yield 8 servings
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 ounces morels, halved if large, or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces asparagus (8-10 stalks), trimmed and sliced diagonally 1/4 inch thick, tips reserved separately
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 cup fava beans or lima beans, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 4 scallions, white part only, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, or more to taste
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 pound penne pasta, preferably whole-wheat
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until hot. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until barely golden, about 30 seconds. Add carrots, reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add sliced asparagus stalks and cook for 2 minutes, then add the asparagus tips, peas, beans and scallions. Season with sea salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until all the vegetables are just tender, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in another large pot. Add kosher salt and pasta; cook until just tender, 10 to 12 minutes (or according to package directions). Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Add the pasta and 1/4 cup of the reserved cooking water to the vegetables, stirring and tossing over medium heat to mix well. Cover, reduce heat to low, and allow to steam together for 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and a splash or two more of the reserved cooking water if necessary to loosen the sauce. Stir in the parsley, basil and mint. Serve with cheese.
Nutritional Information per: 1 ¼ cups: Calories 410 Total Fat 13g Carbs 60g Fiber 14g Protein 17g
Recipe from Eating Well