Original Recipe Yield 6 servings
- 1 ½ cup uncooked lentils
- 6 cups water
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 oz can diced green chilies, undrained
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium carrot diced
- ¼ cup lime juice
- Place first 6 ingredients in large pot. Bring to a boil then simmer until lentils are tender, approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of lentils and puree with green chilies in a blender or food processor. Add back to soup.
- Add bell peppers and carrots and cook until the vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaves before serving. Serve with lime juice
Nutritional Information: Calories 190, Total Fat 1g, Carbs 33g, Fiber 16g, Protein 13g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 93mg