Curried Shrimp and Quinoa Salad
Serves 4 (serving size 2 cups)
- ½ cup quinoa, dry
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1½ pounds raw shrimp*, peeled, deveined, tails removed and rinsed
- 1 (14½-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 4 cups arugula**
- Add quinoa and broth to a medium-sized pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, cover and set aside for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, add olive oil, garlic and shallots and sauté for a few minutes until golden brown. Add shrimp and sauté 5 to 7 minutes. Do not overcook, as shrimp will become tough and rubbery.
- Add tomatoes and curry, and stir gently until combined. Divide arugula between salad plates and top with ¼ cup quinoa and two large spoonfuls of curried shrimp mixture. Serves 4.
- To save on prep and cooking time, use precooked, peeled and deveined shrimp. The shrimp may be firmer and less delicate than fresh.
- **Use baby kale, spinach or mixed greens instead of arugula, if preferred.
Nutrition Information: CALORIES 232; FAT 3g; SODIUM 227mg; CARB. 24g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 25g;