Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup agave nectar, divided
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose, unbleached flour
- ¼ cup flaxseed, ground
- ½ teaspoon baking powder, low sodium
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- ½ teaspoon ginger, ground
- ¼ teaspoon cloves, ground
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- ½ cup cocoa, unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line muffin cups with paper liners.
- Put grated zucchini in paper towels and squeeze out as much water as possible. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, add applesauce, vanilla extract, ¼ cup agave and mix thoroughly.
- Add flours, baking soda, baking powder, flaxseed, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and other spices, and mix well. Add cocoa and mix thoroughly.
- Add zucchini mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Fill paper liners with chocolate zucchini batter to ¾ full. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of cupcake.
- Mix ¼ cup agave with ½ teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl. Before serving, drizzle agave mixture over cupcakes as icing and enjoy!
Per 1 cupcake: Calories: 150; Total fat: 1.5g; Sodium: 105mg; Total carbohydrate: 31g; Dietary fiber: 3g; Sugars 17g; Protein: 3g;
Stacey Antine, MS, RD, is founder of HealthBarn USA