Cheddar Ale Soup
Original Recipe Yield 6
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 12-ounce bottle beer, preferably ale
- 2 18-ounce bags precooked diced peeled potatoes,
- 1 14-ounce can vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups nonfat or low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced or finely chopped
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened , about 3 minutes. Add beer; bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Add potatoes, broth and water; cover and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and mash the potatoes with a potato masher to the desired consistency.
- Whisk milk and flour and add to the soup. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 1/4 cups Cheddar and stir until melted. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and bell pepper.
Nutritional Info per Serving: Calories 390, Fat 12g, Carbs 50g, Fiber 5g, Protein 16g, Sodium 408mg
Recipe from Eatingwell.com