Join The Be The Match Registry
Saturday, July 2nd @ The Armory, 10am-2pm
Every 3 minutes someone is diagnosed with a blood cancer. For thousands of patients with leukemia or other blood diseases like sickle cell anemia, a marrow transplant is their only hope.
You could save a life by joining The Be The Match Registry. All it takes is a simple cheek swab. Patients especially need diverse registry members ages 18 to 44.
Before joining the registry, be sure you are FULLY COMMITTED to:
- Donate to someone you don't know.
- Keep your contact information current at bethematch.org/update.
- Share your decision with family and friends so they'll support you if called.
- Call back quickly if you are a patient's possible match.
- Give a blood sample to see if you are the best match.
- Take up to 20 to 30 hours spread out over 4 to 6 weeks to attend appointments and donate.
Be sure you KNOW:
- The cheek swab you give adds your tissue type to the registry. It is not a marrow donation.
- You'll be listed on the registry until you're 61, unless you withdraw.
You'll need to be free of these conditions to join:
- HIV or risk of HIV
- Hepatitis or risk for hepatitis
- Most forms of heart disease or cancer
- Chronic lung disease
- Diabetes requiring insulin or diabetes-related health issues
- Diseases that affect blood clotting or bleeding
- Recent back surgery, or sever or ongoing back problems
- Autoimmune/neurological disorders such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis or multiple sclerosis
- Being an organ or marrow transplant recipient
- Significant obesity
- Current sleep apnea
More info is available at bethematch.org